My daughter Katie is 21 and now lives in NYC getting her BFA in acting & directing. She is home visiting this week before school starts. In high school she played "The Witch" in the musical "Into the Woods" during her senior year. It's a wonderful lead role and we were so proud of her! She has done well over 50 shows and this is one of her favorite roles. Today she was at the Renaissance Festival with my sister and her 3 kids when I she got a phone call from a local theatre (whom Katie had done many shows with in high school) asking if she can play the role of the witch for the show today - which starts in 1 hour. The person who was cast in the show had mono and blew out her voice. They had to cancel the show yesterday because of it and today was the closing show.
Like a trooper, she got there in 30 minutes and ran through couple of the songs and did the entire show. I got there a bit before she did and brought her wig, makeup , costume and shoes. Her good friend Evan came along who also had done many shows with her to help her backstage with costume changes and to go over lines. You would never had known that she had not done the show in almost 4 years AND had NO rehearsals, no blocking - nothing. She did the entire show perfectly! I was so proud of her. It takes so much courage to just get on stage anyway, but to play one of the leads without more than 30 minutes notice was unbelievable. Afterwards we went out to dinner and celebrated by stuffing ourselves with yummy food from Maggiano's. Now it's off to bed at 8:45pm. Sorry, I just had to brag a little!
Sunday, August 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
wow, it sounds like your daughter is very talented!!!
You should definitely be proud! How great of your daughter to step in like that and pick the role back up so well. :)
That's wonderful! I would brag all year!
Gee, what a perfomer. That is great that she could get in there and do that. I also read about your son going to college. Mine heads out in two years. I am not looking forward to it.
Wow! You must be so proud! I used to dance in a folklore troop many many years ago and we had to rehearse for endless hours before a scheduled show, I can't imagine doing it without rehearsing! She must be a natural :)
That is definately something to be proud of! I don't think I would have the courage to get up on a stage and perform. Thank goodness for people like her or we wouldn't have any theatre's.
Congrat's on your son going to college. I know it's hard, but I think they grow up a little more when they go away to school. I'm wishing and hoping #4 wants to go away, lol!
That's wonderful! It sounds like your daughter is tremendously talented!
How fantastic for your daughter. She must be a wonderful actress!
You are the best stage Mom ever, running over so quickly with the costume. You should be proud of her, that is outstanding!! When she becomes rich and famous she can say she owes it all to her MOTHER!
SUPERLATIVE actress! thanks for sharing this. amazing things.
namaste
melina
living creating & appreciating
my blog
I design for Color Me Daisy
Haute Artist Instructor
Everything Scrapbooks and Stamps DT member
I can see why you are so proud. They are fortunate to have had her. Yeah for your dd for saving the show for everyone who had the tickets to see it. Whew!
That is fantastic! How exciting for her and you SHOULD be proud!
oh boy, that IS amazing! I do local theater, and cannot imagine stepping in to a lead with that much notice. Congrats!
Sounds fun in a hectic sort of way.
WOW!!! That is completely amazing! She must have a real gift for theater. How wonderful that she was willing to step in and save the production!
Post a Comment