Friday, August 22, 2008

My eyes are dripping!

That is what my son Dan used to say when he was really little and was crying. We dropped him off at college today and when we hugged to say goodbye, I started to cry and so did he. He gave me his secret I LOVE YOU sign that he always gives me and that did it! I tried to keep it in as we were driving away. I was OK on the ride home, but when I saw his empty room - which is right across from our bedroom - I just lost it. I have a headache now from crying. It seems so empty without him in his room. Wow - it's tough being a parent. I'm going to bed early tonight, I'm emotionally drained. Oh thanks for the comments, that made me feel really good!

10 comments:

Janet said...

Awww...I really feel for you! My only DD is starting her junior year in HS, so I'll soon be in the same position. Hope you get through the weekend OK and hear from your son that all is well at college!

Thx for visiting my blog, too!

Sarah*Jane said...

What an exciting time for you and Dan! He'll have such a good time, and 90 minutes is not too far. (Close enough for you to visit, too.) Good luck with the upcoming semester.

Sarah (from 2Peas)

KarenSue said...

I remember that, dd went to college 5 hours away in So Cal..and I did cry the entire trip home. Good thing, dh was driving!

emily said...

Coming from the child perspective it was so hard to move into college...exciting, scary, sad, all emotions! I hope that you son settles in and that you settle in too!

Lori K said...

Aw, Im so sorry, Im going thru the same with my youngest DD. She is 18hrs away, it was so traumatic to leave her so far away. But now that she has gotten thru a week of classes she is happier and so am I. HUGS.

Colleen said...

Wow! What a day! The good thing to remember is that it's a new adventure not only for him, but for you too! Take care...

Lily said...

omg, now you have my eyes dripping!

Lee said...

I hope you both managed your "first full day" with less tears :) Growing up is hard ... for mum and baby!

thekreativelife said...

What a wrenching time for you both! It's exciting and yet excruciating at the same time. I just sent my firstborn to kindergarten on the 14th and I still catch myself getting teary eyed when she gets on the bus in the morning. On a good note . . . it DOES get easier with time, and after a short adjustment period, you'll find your groove. I hope everything goes well for you both this first week of school! God Bless.

Theresa said...

Awwww, been there done that, except it was with my only child. I literally cried for months, just over the silliest of things too. It gets better.