Well, today ended the week long hosting of South Oakland Shelter at my church. I was there for over 80 hours this week. We had an average of 31 guests and of those 11 were children! We provided breakfast, sack lunch, and just wonderful dinners, plus snacks.
For activities, we threw a birthday party for the 2 year old and all the kids were there. My sister donated toys for all the children and we had cake, games and lots of fun. A member of our church is a barber and one of his co-workers did free haircuts for the guests! That was a huge hit. Oh Halloween, we did "Trunk or Treating" in the parking lot of our church. Cars were decorated and the kids (and 6-8 adults) came out to trick or treat. We played Michael Jackson's "Thriller" album and danced outside for over an hour. The weather was a balmy 66 degrees and just perfect. Everyone had a blast and got to forget they were in a shelter. Last night we had BINGO night and gave away gift cards to CVS, Walmart, McDonalds etc that were donated. I got so many hugs from the guests when they left - they didn't want to leave. I do have to admit, it was an OUTSTANDING week. We had so many volunteers that made it work, just a great team effort to make our guests feel comfortable and loved. This is what showing God's love is all about.
I started coming down with a cold Saturday, and today it's full blown and I feel miserable. Once we cleaned up and moved the mattresses outside for the next church to pick up, Put dirty linens, blankets and towels into over 20 bags and put back all the furniture it was about 9am (we started at 5:30am) Extra food was donated to the local food pantry. Then it was time for me to go to bed and rest! I have been in bed all day! I hate having colds and I have an especially wicked sore throat. UGH. Plus it's pitch black out and only 6:00PM! Dang daylight savings time. Off to take some nyquil and get some more sleep.
Monday, November 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
So great to read that the week was such a great success and that with the help of volunteers and your hard work, you were able to bless so many. I hope you feel better soon and that you are back to your normal self again.
Wow, that sounds like an incredible experience! You all were blessed to be a blessing to others. Somehow in giving we all get so much more in return!
Hope you feel better soon. I had something similar last weekend. Hope your cold is short-lived!
so great to hear that it was a successful weekend and now go take care of yourself and get better!
Post a Comment